becky

Primary tabs

becky's picture
Full Name: 
Becky Shea

NeighborMedia profile

Bio: 

I am a senior at Lesley University, double majoring in English and creative writing.  After graduating, I am interested in pursuing a career in journalism.

Stories by becky

The Clement G. Morgan Park, built between Columbia Street and Pine Street, was named in honor of Clement G. Morgan, a long time resident of Inman Square.

Before Clement G. Morgan’s life began in Cambridge, he was born in 1859 to slave parents and after abolition moved to Washington D.C. for high school. He worked in the barber trade and then taught in African-American schools in St. Louis for four years.

The founder of Fresh Pond Hotel, Jacob Wyeth, bought eight acres of land in 1796 along Fresh Pond from his father Ebenezer Wyeth, a brick maker. Jacob Wyeth was a Harvard graduate in 1792 who decided to use the land to open his own hotel.

The piece of land was located on a bluff that overlooked the water.  Since 1793, wealthy people from Boston bought much of this attractive land to build homes on because Boston and Cambridge were now easily connected via West Boston Bridge and Concord Turnpike.

Also known as the Kidder-Sargent-McCrehan House, it is still an active residential home in its original location on 146 Rindge Avenue with almost no alterations to its original architecture.

Charles Valentine built the houses located at 101 Pearl Street and 5-7 Cottage Street as factory housing in 1835. Cambridgeport developed during the early 19th century at a time when suburban industrialization increased. People moved to the neighborhood, which had a more suburban feel compared to other parts of Cambridge and Boston, to be close to their places of employment.  

Although the row of houses located on 25 Third Street and 45-51 Gore Street have gone through many changes since they were built around 1821, Lechmere Point Corporation’s architectural influences can be found in the construction of many houses in East Cambridge today.

A factory once stood at 162 Broadway Street where pianos and organs were handcrafted in the 19th and 20th century. The factory was founded by two men with very different backgrounds, but one goal: to create the world’s finest musical instruments.  Their vision was a success.

Henry Mason was a pianist.  He came from a long line of musicians, his father being Lowell Mason who was a widely acclaimed composer and producer of hymns. Lowell Mason is also known for bringing music into public schools. Henry Mason knew he wanted to continue a lifelong interest in music like his father.

Today, Opposition House is on 2-4 Hancock Place, but at one point in time it was near Quincy Square and east of Hancock Street.  It was built with the attempts to prohibit the expansion of Harvard Street.

Judge Francis Dana had the house built in 1807 in the spot where Harvard Street would cut through. The Dana family were prominent figures in the Boston/Cambridge community since the Revolutionary War. Francis Dana was a lawyer who held many political positions including Continental Congress and Chief Justice of Massachusetts.  

Old Cambridge Baptist Church was built in 1968 by Alexander Rice Esty.  He was a local architect and famously known for his American Gothic Revival churches in New England.  This church displays strong grey fieldstone and granite with large stain glass windows that are typical of Gothic Revival architecture.  Its cut-stone spire is the tallest in Middlesex County.  

The Cooper-Frost-Austin house is located on Linnaean Street near Porter Square and looks like any other Colonial American house.  But this is the oldest existing house in Cambridge.  It is now owned by the nonprofit Historic New England, but was once owned by the same family for 250 years.

Hundreds of thousands of people pass the First Parish in Cambridge every year due to its location right in Harvard Square.  It is an iconic landmark with a steeple that can be seen even amongst the competing brick buildings in Harvard Yard.